Published weekly as a summary of Chrysalis phase 2 updates. Please click here if you want to ready the full monthly dev status update.
IOTA 1.5 (also known as Chrysalis) is the mainnet’s intermediate stage before Coordicide is complete. You can read more about the strategy for releasing Chrysalis here.
The Chrysalis phase 1 components were deployed to mainnet in August. The engineering team is now working on Chrysalis phase 2.
This week’s updates and status
Phase 2 Public Testnet
We are now in a phase of testing Chrysalis functionality on a private testnet. We are working on bringing all the necessary bits and pieces for making the testnet public soon! This includes
- the CLI wallet - done,
- new faucet - done,
- complete infrastructure, which we have been working on with the Hornet team,
- node software stabilized - breaking changes will still be part of the testnet,
- wallet.rs with JS bindings - done,
- iota.rs with JS bindings - implementing local PoW and bug fixing.
- This week, the Bee team performed a live session where they integrated database storage into the node.
- Ledger state and snapshot loading are in progress.
- The message sending functionality of the new API for Chrysalis has been fully implemented in the node. The team is now adding support for bech32 encoding.
- Integrating a node dashboard into Bee.
- Fixing a bug occurring when shutting down the Bee node.
- Merged improved Curl implementation.
- Integrated a new node dashboard. This will be shared with the Bee node and aligns with our current visual language.
- Progressing on configuration and set up of the Chrysalis testnet.
Iota.rs and wallet.rs
Our Rust implementation of standard client library and wallet functionalities
- Working on local PoW implementation with the Bee team.
- Finished the syncing process implementation.
- Merged iota.rs nodejs binding.
Crypto.rs and Stronghold
Crypto.rs is a crate for all cryptographic algorithms used by many of the projects at IF. Stronghold is a secure software implementation for safe digital secrets isolation.
- Stronghold crypto is now entirely sourced from crypto.rs
- The communications actor crate has been merged
- Stronghold Snapshot corruption issue solved
- Performance gains in snapshot updating attained
- Finite State Machine as subactor management integrated
- CI and CD with Changelog and automatic publishing being finalized
Chrysalis phase 2 will come with a new wallet implementation that replaces Trinity.
- We have published a post about our next generation wallet, Firefly, and its future.
- Work continues on hooking all the components and dependencies together, fixing issues as they are found in underlying libraries, and more.
- The current plan is to launch the first rounds of alpha testing in the upcoming weeks and test throughout December, with audit starting early January.
W-OTS to Ed25519
Part of the Chrysalis phase 2 release will be a transition from from the
W-OTS signature scheme to the ed25519 signature scheme. This will involve a mechanism that will allow users to migrate their funds at their volition. We are currently working on the last bits and details of this plan and will share it with the community as soon as possible.
A large part of the Chrysalis phase 2 effort is auditing the new functionality. We have booked the relevant availability with multiple external auditing firms for the upcoming weeks to start auditing the different components as soon as possible.
As always, we welcome everyone to stop by on Discord — every project mentioned here has a channel (or more) for discussion with the devs!
Follow us on Twitter to keep track of all the latest news: https://twitter.com/iotatoken